Thursday, August 04, 2005

A propos de la mort

We misunderstand death, culturally we have misconstrued its value.

Many of us hold death as the sum of all human fears and because of that we condemn killing as the most horrendous human act possible, arguably the most horrendous cultural act possible. But what if killing were like death, a natural phenomenon? I fear death as much as the next person, but I fear it while fearing life too. Like life, death has an ecstasy and an aesthetic quality that I can draw inspiration from and find solace in. Though it is clear that death remains unknown to the living, I speculate that all the elements of death are already known in life and that many of us will have already experienced them before we die, what is lacking is a narrative to join those fragments together, a roadmap of sorts, like the current narrative we apply to life: I am born then I die. And even if there is no narrative in death, and I sincerely hope there isn't, I will still enjoy death as I have been able to enjoy life thus far.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog...keep it up.

5:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated indeed.

5:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see death the same way you do and motto of 'live'. Beautiful post.

6:36 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home